Tuesday, January 3, 2012

12 resolutions for 2012 and why...

I have never been one for New Year's Resolutions. This is mostly due to the fact that I am lacking in the motivation department for most things. These are my 12 resolutions for 2012 and why they are what they are. They are 100% realistic and doable.

Resolution #1 - Go to the gym 
I have danced for 10 years, which is a workout, obviously, but proves not to be enough for my body. I have always struggled with my image because 1. dance requires you to wear tights and a leotard while staring at yourself in the mirror all day, and because 2. my high school girlfriends are some skinny little things. I'll never forget the day I was shopping with my mom at Hollister in the 8th grade. I took a size 0 pair of jeans into the dressing room, which is what I was used to squeezing into. It wouldn't go past my thighs. I cried for a good three or four minutes, exited the dressing room and told my mom I didn't want them anymore. Since then I have always looked at myself a little more harshly. I have continued dancing, in fact I have started dancing more, since I started college. And what do I do when I get to LMU? Make friends with more little skinny things. I'm now at a size 3, but I realize it's about feeling good, not just looking good. I think I'll start looking for that good feeling at the gym.

Resolution #2 - Train don't take
I am usually not one to waste a dance class. Buuuuuut, sometimes I let my day get the best of me and I spend the whole class thinking about the choices I made that day or things that happened to me instead of putting my heart and soul into the routine. Screw that. From this point on it's about training in class, not just taking class.

Resolution #3 - Do well in school
Let's be honest, Dexter High School isn't the most challenging learning institute on this planet. I was definitely not as prepared as some to embark on the adventure that is college academics, but I am learning. Let's strive for some determination, not procrastination. Eh, Miranda?

Resolution #4 - Stop pleasing others at the expense of my sanity
I am a fan of a jam-packed schedule. I am always off somewhere to do something or help someone, but at the expense of my ability to get my own things done. I will continue to help anyone I can with as much as I can, but I vow to get my sh*t done, too.

Resolution #5 - Sleep. Please.
This is pretty self explanatory. If I keep living on four hours per night, I'll die. I'll just fall over and die.

Resolution #6 - Talk to every choreographer I take class from. Always.
I have always done this, but I wish to continue to do so. Networking is everything, and the choreographers I take from are pure geniuses, so the least I can do is give them a hug, a smile, and a 'thank you' before I walk out the door.

Resolution #7 - Get paid for a dance job
I want to be a working dancer, already. I realize this takes time and much effort, which is where resolutions 2 and 6 come in.

Resolution #8 - Be more patient.
Self explanatory.

Resolution #9 - Don't surround myself with negative people
I have had my fair share of "friends" that are more negative than a room full of electrons. (Nice science joke there, eh? *Pats herself on the back...) But this will happen no more! I want people in my life who are supportive and exciting. I've moved on to bigger and better things, as I suggest bitter people do as well.

Resolution #10 - Pray more
Every day is truly a gift from God. My relationship with Him is often put on the back burner and I realize too late that many problems I have had could have been averted if I had just taken the time to chat with J-man! (Jesus.) Someone once challenged me to say a short prayer at the top of every hour that I am awake. I think I'll try that. If all else fails, I will do morning, noon, and nighttime prayer. I need it.

Resolution #11 - Keep up with my friends from high school
They helped mold me into the young adult I am today. I have been pretty good about checking on them but I want to be better. They have no idea how much I missed them this semester.

Resolution #12 - Stop. Spending. So. Much. Money.
My bank account proves the need for this resolution. Enough said.


These are my terrific 12, and I know I can do them all. I am excited to embark on these starting immediately! Happy New Year, everyone! :)

1 comment:

  1. Am following this blog now... good post and yes, all those resolutions are totally doable! Now, get some sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete